Monday, September 15, 2008

road rash- a posting by Carol



On Friday evening I went out front to call the girls in for dinner. They were a few houses down in a neighbors driveway playing. Cora and Jess responded quickly to me, but Maren was a little slow. As I was walking over, I asked Maren to come home for dinner. She started running down the drive and her cute little legs couldn't keep up with her and she had a little run-in with the cement. She hasn't been very nice to herself lately. Maybe it is her age, but she seems pretty battered lately.

Josh and I had an alarming experience yesterday. Cora was playing outside for a few minutes while dinner was cooking. I thought she was playing alone, but was playing with a boy from her class ( who lives a few houses down) and his little brother. They seemed to be playing fine. I called her in and I asked her about what she was doing and if she had fun. She proceeded to tell me what she was doing and then she said, "and Justin showed me his penis." Ummmmm, What???? I tried not to overreact and down play her experience. Josh asked her as casually as he could what happened, and then I told her she did the right thing to tell us that. Later Josh went and talked to the boy's dad about it. At first we weren't sure how to handle it, but decided that if it was our child we would want to know. Justin's dad was very receptive and appreciative and said he would talk to him about it. So hopefully it won't happen again and it will just be a non incident. Well, that is pretty much all that has happened around here lately. Hope you all are well.
-Carol

5 comments:

Chesney said...

Oh my gosh! that is all I can say...

Alex Perry said...

OHHH NOOO! That just gives you nightmares. I don't want my girls to grow up, so much happens in their lives and it's hard to know what exactly to do. You guys did do the right thing though, that's really good! And Poor Maren, Eryka is the same way...she beats herself up all the time haha!!

Leah said...

Yikes. That totally stinks. Stuff like that makes me EXTREMELY nervous. Staying calm isn't the first reaction but definitely the best. And if I had a son I would definitely want to know so you guys did a good job talking to them.
And Maren's little eye is so sad. Bless her heart.
Too bad the post Carol finally did had to be sad news.

Michelle said...

Her little face is still so adorable that I can't stand it. I seriously can't wait for Thanksgiving to come so I can see all the girls (and now a new boy!). As for Cora, I'm so proud of her for telling you. That is a very good thing. Now you know she won't be quiet if something (heaven forbid) worse were to happen. And you handled it perfectly. Hopefully no more "incidents" will happen.

Serge said...

I'm glad that you talked to your neighbor too. I've got to admit that I dread the eventuality of such a conversation; considering the world we live in something like that is bound to come up sooner or later. I hope that my kids will tell me if it does. By the way, the photo of your girls at the top of the blog is just darling.