Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The World we live in...

What an amazing world we live in. The other day after Emmett had come home, I was watching some silly cartoon with Jess and Maren. Maren wanted to hold Emmett, so I had her sit next to me, while she held him. After about 10 seconds she usually tires of having to sit in the same spot with Carol or me curled up around her ready to take him away if she moves in the wrong way. This time she was totally content to just sit and watch the show snuggled between the two of us. Then I realized why she was so content. The little stinker had zonked out. So there I was, Emmett asleep on Maren, Maren asleep on me and Carol was gone. What was I to do, but whip out the camera phone and take some quick pictures. That is just the first example of the crazy world we are in. It is really kind of mind boggling to think that I have this tiny little piece of plastic in my pocket that can do so much. The next example is from Emmett's wonderful arrival. As I may have mentioned the anesthesiologist kept hitting veins and having to pull out the catheter. Five times she poked my wife in the back with a needle the size of a small child's arm. Carol wanted to have a look at it but the mirror wasn't giving her the angle she wanted so I took a picture for her to see, and then a few days later took another one to compare. It looks like it hurts a lot. And I am pretty sure Carol would confirm it did. Fortunately it was well worth it when it came to choosing between that and the delivery pains. This is about 5 days after Carol came home from the hospital.

And finally, today, I was sitting at the kitchen table leafing through a magazine while Carol went to pick up Cora. Not much was going on, Emmett was sleeping (he does that a lot), Maren was playing toys, and Jess was watching Robin Hood (the Disney cartoon). Again, I wasn't paying much attention, I had noticed that it had come to the end of the big battle following the archery tournament and the "Love Goes On and On" song was playing. Then I notice Jess stand up. She slowly walked to the T.V. put her little hands around it, one on the side and one under neath, as far as she could spread her arms. Placed her feet on the T.V. stand to get a little more height, and hugged the T.V. snuggling her little cheek right up against the screen. I was agast. I had no idea what to do or think. Then she turns and kissed the T.V. Again, I did not know what she was doing, and unfortunately was not thinking enough to pull out my phone and take a picture or a video. It was one of the funniest and most shocking things she has ever done. I can only assume it was the movie and the song that she was so enthralled with that it would move her to such action. I am a little nervous that she is already very romantically inclined. If that is the case, sappy chick flicks are going to be the least of my problems once she truly notices boys. With that in mind, if she ever does that again, I will be ready. On a short aside, usually the T.V. is strictly off limits to little hands. The girls have watched me wipe off their smudges before, and they no better, which is part of what so caught me off guard. Still, I think that will always bring a smile to my face.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

hahaha! who was she kissing? that's so funny!!!

J and C Fish Family said...

I honestly couldn't tell if she was kissing someone or the screen in general.
-Josh

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

Oh the joys of having kids. That is very cute that she was hugging and kissing the TV. Though I thought that she was more of your tomboy. What is she doing being all emotional and stuff. So how was your arm feeling after having the kids sleeping on it?

Leah said...

Love the stories. How funny Maren fell asleep. Carol's story not so fun. Man that stinks. Then Jess' story. That was just plain hilarious. She is so funny. I love it.