Saturday, January 30, 2010

Visit


My parents came to town this last week. It was really great to see them. They split their time, spending a few days with us and another few days with Zeb and Leah. This picture was taken last night at Zeb and Leah's house. They left this morning.



Here is one of all of the grandkids. Poor Emmett. 7 girls and only one boy, though my mom says if he is anything like her brother the boy is going to be spoiled.... we'll see.



While my parent's were staying with us we went to downtown Dallas to see the area where JFK was assassinated. This is the building that Booth was shooting out of. If I remember right he was on the sixth floor corner window.




Here are my parents, the girls, and E, out in front of the building. We were fortunate that it was only cold out due to wind. Overall a nice sunny day.


The "tour guide" said the grassy knoll was on the same side as the building, but Dad and I both agree that the side opposite the building would have been a better area to shoot from if there was a secondary shooter. I forget which side this is. (By tour guide I mean the pan handler who hangs around spewing out a bunch of names of people who had reason to want the president dead, and who could have been involved in any conspiracy. He was alright until he tried to tell Dad that there were 12 shots fired, and showed my Dad a mark in the concrete where one of the bullets struck. My Dad called bullshit, good for you Dad, good for you. I probably would have let him rant and then told Carol how ridiculous his suppositions were. And for those of you who don't know, should a bullet impact concrete at a very direct angle [otherwise it would ricochet and leave no mark whatsoever] the bullet would shatter into thousands of tiny bits and leave the faintest if any mark on the concrete.)
Overall it was kind of interesting to see. They have two x's painted on the road where the shots hit the President. And perhaps if you have a small group it might be worthwhile to step into the museum they've created on the sixth floor of Booth's building.
I think that is all for now. In the near future I hope to post on C.S. Lewis' book "Miracles". Quite an interesting read, especially for a scientist.

`Josh

2 comments:

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

How fun that you had a visit from mom and dad! I'm sure the kids were so excited. We can't wait to come visit this summer/fall.
~meredith

Leah said...

Um there is no question in my mind that Emmett will be spoiled. Just admit it now and move on! ;)
Love you guys!