Monday, March 29, 2010

FHE Armies of Helaman

Lately, I have been at school a lot, and consequently Carol has been home with the kids by herself. I think as an artifact of me being missed and Carol being worn out the kids have been less than perfect. Carol and I were talking about it and what we thought we could do, and decided to have a special family home evening talking about obedience. It was going well and then I suddenly switched topics and started talking about the Armies of Helaman. After we talked about how miraculously they all survived the war even though they were all injured, I challenged the girls to do there best to obey with exactness. We then told them that we would have an extra special family home evening if they could do their best to obey with exactness. The first week went by and we didn't see a ton of improvement. Then the next week was spring break and I was home and with both of us there we were able to remind each other and the girls to obey with exactness. So for our very special family home evening we made and decorated card board shields. Then we had a fight with the Nephites and the Lamanites. I was the Lamanites and the girls were the Armies of Helaman. Carol was Helaman. Carol and I worked it out so as long as the girls obeyed with exactness her commands I would lose. But as soon as they didn't obey with exactness, I would start to win. The girls had a blast. (I designed Mett's shield and Carol colored it, just in case you were wondering.)




5 comments:

Michelle said...

great idea! are the girls being more obedient?

Lisa said...

What a great idea!! I totally love it! What a wonderful way to teach obedience.

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

You have to love the foam swords. Ethan has three of them and we fight all the time. We know the feeling of the kids needing both parents home, Ethan is so much better when he gets some daddy time. I love the idea for the FHE. The video is great
Abe

Leah said...

I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it I love it!!!!
What a great idea!!!!!

Michelle said...

Oh come on! You are turning into me! NEW POST!!!!!