Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What????

Okay, I have to post this one. This afternoon when Cora got dropped off from school, she came in the door and told me yet another disturbing story. It went something like this:
Cora- "Guess what happened at school?"
Me- " what?"
Cora-' There's this boy in Mr. Stein's class named Nate, and he asked me if he could touch my private.
Me- (subtle gasp) "what did you do?"
Cora-" I told him No Way and ran away."
Me- "Good. Then what did you do?"
Cora-"I went and told his teacher"
Me- " And what did his teacher say?"
Cora- "He said that he'll talk to him."

Yikes. That's scary. On one hand I am so grateful and very proud of the way she handled it, and so proud that she told me. But on the other hand, I am bothered. Here Cora is at 5 years old and has had two similar experiences. What are these boys seeing/hearing? What is going on in these boys' houses?
I made sure that I praised Cora for the way she handled it and for telling a teacher and me, and I made it a topic of conversation at dinner, so that if Jess has a similar experience, then she knows that it happened to Cora and she knows how to handle it herself. I am thinking that when we have the money, that getting the girls enrolled in Karate might be a good idea. That way, they can beat the crap out of these little punks. Again, it baffles me what kids are exposed to especially at such a young age. Where are their parents? What are the parent doing/not doing? Anyway, for those of you who read this with young kids at home, make sure that you talk to them about these and many other things so they know what to do before they need to know and don't.
-Carol

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I agree. That's disturbing. I'm proud of Cora for speaking up for herself and for telling people. Hopefully the teacher will do her duty and talk to the school counselor.

Alex Perry said...

What is wrong with these little boys? They are talking like they are adults, at the age of 5 and 6. Cora is a good little girl and so brave. I hope that I can have a close relationship with my girls that they feel comfortable telling me everything, especially things like that. Poor Cora!

Leah said...

I don't know what the deal is either but it really bothers me. Claire has had a boy tell others she made out with him and another boy told her so and so thought she was sexy! Seriously. It upsets me so much and makes me so sad. It is so important to talk to our kids about things like this and make sure they know what is appropriate. Too bad we have no control over other kids.

Michelle said...

I wonder what their parents let them watch on t.v. because it sounds to me like some of these boys may be seeing things they shouldn't and that they do not understand. But I do think someone needs to tell the school psychiatrist about it because saying he wants to touch her private parts is suspicious. It makes me worry someone has done something to him. I don't mean to be alarmist but it just doesn't sound right.

Jenny said...

I'm impressed with Cora as well. I wish that we didn't need to have conversations like this with our kids so young!