Friday, February 20, 2009

A brick wall...

Ever have an assignment that just didn't go right. I am teaching a statistics lab, in which I am supposed to instruct tomorrows budding social scientists in the wonders of SPSS (Statistics package for the social sciences).
Day one, I grab the wrong syllabi (argghh).
Day two, there is supposed to be a drive linked to all computers in the lab to access information, I do not have access to that drive (arggghhh).
Day three, supposed to have the drive issue fixed, but no still don't have access (ARGGHH).
Day four (today) email students data set for class because I figure the stupid drive won't be working, students go to open file and it won't open properly (ARRGGGGHHHHH).
Add on top of that one of my students was looking up something online during lecture and talking about it with the kid sitting next to him, so I have to tell him to stop and at least pretend to pay attention. Honestly, I don't mind teaching Statistics (which is rare) but this class is starting to suck. Plus I started class with a sinus headache, and that never helps. I can already anticipate bad reviews from students. Hopefully next week will be better.
Also, if you ever happen to be in or move to Texas for any duration, may I suggest don't do so with little children. They seem to have an infinite supply of cold germs in Texas, all of which quickly come home and spread like wildfire. In Utah I maybe got one cold a year, and it wasn't bad, a week or so of a runny nose, some sinus pressure, a single night of tylenol to get a goodnights rest and I was back and at em. I have had three colds this year, three. The first one lasted for a month and a half, plugged up my ear for 5 weeks and I had to take z pac to get rid of it. Emmett has only been here for three months and poor kid is already on his second cold. So if it can be avoided, I highly recomend it.
-Josh

2 comments:

Serge said...

Condolences to you about the technology issues- that's unfortunate.

Michelle said...

here is a little advice from an old timer...teaching has its off days, and at times, its off weeks. if something can go wrong, it will go wrong. i can't tell you how many times i had things all planned out perfectly and then suddenly, i can't find the copies i made or the powerpoint won't work because the t.v. is not working or the little %@#!% won't pay attention or the kids just think that whatever it was i was teaching was stupid, boring, useless, etc., etc., etc.. it can be super frustrating. i'm sure you are still doing a great job! you just have to roll with the punches.

and you've obviously run across a new virus. when i moved to vegas i got sick a lot. i haven't been seriously sick here ever. i have a few sinus issues. but no real sicknesses. your body will adjust and hopefully next year, the colds will go away.