Friday, February 8, 2008

Not in Utah anymore...

Yes, we have not been in Utah for some time. But sometimes I am made aware of that fact yet again. On Cora's first day back to school from Utah, Mrs. Wallace (Cora's teacher) confirmed that we were from Utah and asked if " are ya'll mormon?" I said yes. Then she said " I didn't know that ya'll celebrated Christmas." I went on to explain that we are christian and briefly described the sixth article of faith. Then yesterday, Mrs. Wallace asked if "we" celebrate valentines day. I was a little shocked that I was being asked that question. Why would there be a religious objection to valentines day? I find myself amazed of peoples perception of our church. I think a lot of things will be cleared up with Romney's former campaign.

Carol

2 comments:

Alex Perry said...

It is amazing isn't it?! My mind gets so boggled by peoples comments and thoughts about us mormons :) Life is a lot different in Texas than in Utah that is for sure. After living in both types of environments, I think I might enjoy the non mormon bubble a little more. That way you get a chance to stand a little taller, and be a little more proud for who you are and what you represent!

Meredith and Abe Fish said...

Welcome to the world Josh. Valentines day is actaully named after St. Valentine which would have religous implications. Therefore some might see it as a religous holiday. I think also that people confuse us with J.W. who don't celebrate many holidays.